If you are searching for a communication device that will not disappoint during your adventure in the forest or the sea, BaoFeng UV-9R product is the best choice. With technological advancement use of smartphones can be an option; however, in most cases, you are likely to experience a signal loss, making communication significantly hard.
This product is suitable for four of your adventures not only for its strong signal but also it is waterproof and dustproof. This feature enables it to continue operating even under harsh weather conditions. A walkie talkie two-way radio with a telescopic antenna has a frequency range of 136-174 MHz/400-520MHz.
BaoFeng UV-9R is a dual-band radio equipped with programming USB. If you are still unsure that this is the best BaoFeng brand for your adventure activities, this review is designed to help you understand just that. It will examine the distinctive features, user experience, pros and cons. I hope you all make the right choice.
Features of BaoFeng UV-9R
- It is waterproof and dustproof: With this device, you are assured of fulltime operation even under harsh climatic conditions.
- Low battery warning: This feature informs the user when the device needs a recharge. Also, if one is not near a charger, they can convert to power-saving mode.
- Emergency alarm: When the user is in distress, by pressing one of the keys, an emergency alarm is set off.
- Keypad lock: With this function, your devise safety increases as without authentication, a third party cannot log in.
- Telescopic antenna measuring 41cm or 16 inches: This support delivery of clear long-distance conversations.
- Busy channel lock function: This feature blocks transmission on a frequency that is already in use, allowing you to hear the transmission using your receiver and only transmit it once it is free.
- Belt clip: It holds the radio when one is not currently using
- A single 2200mAh Li-ion battery
- High and low power switchover: If you want to preserve the radio’s power consumption rate, this feature will help you do so by switching to low power and vice vasa.
- U/V cross band dual watch
- Voice prompt: It acts as a guide to the user by providing necessary information that they may be interested in.
- DTMF code
- It has a dual-band, dual display and dual standby IP67 transceiver walkie talkie.
- VOX function: It detects any ongoing transmission. It turns on a transmitter or a recorder while someone speaks and goes off when no ongoing transmission.
- The frequency range of 136-174MHz/400-520MHz
- Lightweight: It weighs about 660g, including the battery. This increases its portability.
- Small in size: The size of this walkie talkie measures 18.5×14.6×10.4cm, making it possible for users to hold by a single hand.
- PC or manual program: The radio can be programmed on a pc using a programming cable or manually on its keypad.
- Battery saving function: When the battery is draining power, and you are not near a charger, the user can switch to battery saving mode to use less power hence saving it.
- Time out timer:
- FM radio
- Two-way radio: in other words, it is an audio transceiver. It can transmit and receive a radio signal.
- Desktop charger
- Priory scanning function: Able to scan the most important message to receive or transmit
Here you can check a great video overview by HAM RADIO DUDE:
What Do Users Say About BaoFeng UV9R?
BaoFeng UV-9R is quite affordable. It is not a high-end device, but the sound is just great, users love it. Its small size makes it great for most users.
The users have expressed their concerns over the claim that the device is waterproof. According to them, the device is not waterproof. One of the users has given a scenario where the boat capsized while returning to the shores, and immediately the device stopped functioning entirely. Manufacturers are urged to stop giving false information about the products whose failure endangers human life.
The device has no extendable antenna, as described in the product description. Instead, users receive radios with just a standard rubber ducky which is disappointing given their great plans for the device. Users feel like most of the product description is false and just for attracting more customers.
View this post on Instagram
While it is possible to listen to amateur frequencies without a license, you may be required a license if you are looking forward to listening to various frequencies. The belt clip is not fitting. The screws are very long, making it impossible to use it in a belt.
Despite the BaoFeng uv9r coming with a programmable keyboard, it might be challenging for most users. As such, one may be required to purchase a programming cable and set it up through a pc or a laptop using free software.
While users are happy about the size, budget and sound, the manufacture should avoid spicing the product description to attract customers at the expense of their safety.
Pros and Cons
Our rating: 4.4 / 5
The BaoFeng UV-9R walkie talkie is excellent in various aspects, and users love it, especially its small size, quality sound and lightweight. However, it is undeniable that users have complained that manufacturers need to consider if they want to maintain this product as top-notch walkie talkie in the market.
Some of these concerns include lack of a programming cable, extendable antenna, and most importantly, it is not waterproof as advertised. While the product is excellent, I hope you know how you can shield yourself against those shortcomings.
Users also searched for: